Are you a young person (aged 16-25 years) from a refugee or migrant background and passionate about making positive change in the Tasmanian community? The Multicultural Youth Tasmania (MYT) Youth Advisory Group (YAG) are calling for expressions of interest for new members in 2023.
The MYT YAG is a group of passionate young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds who advise MYT on programs, services and issues affecting the lives of young people settling in Tasmania. Being a MYT YAG member will help you to develop valuable skills in networking, leadership, advocacy and community organising.
Position Description (2023)
Multicultural Youth Tasmania (MYT) is a program of Migrant Resource Tasmania (MRC) that supports young people aged 16 to 25 from multicultural backgrounds to reach their full potential and become active members of the Tasmanian community. MYT collaborates with young people, government, and non-government organisations to promote the needs and interests of young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds. MYT is also a partner organisation of the Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network of Australia (MYAN) which advocates for the rights and interests of young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds and facilitates national connection between young people, academics, policy makers and practitioners.
For more information, please visit this website: About us – MYAN Australia
Multicultural Youth Tasmania (MYT) recognises young people from multicultural backgrounds as experts in their own lives and seeks to bring this expertise into our work. This enables young people to be represented and influential in Tasmania society. MYT also aims to empower young people to take leadership roles in their community. The establishment of the Youth Advisory Group is a means to achieve this.
The Youth Advisory Group was established to empower young people from multicultural background to have a voice in inform the work of MYT and their service providers. Additionally, the group also aims to provide leadership and advocacy training to support young people to become future community leaders.
MYT Youth Advisory Group is supported by MYT Program Officer and MYT coordinator. The group consists of up to 8 members from diverse ethnicities, age, gender, faith, and education.
Criteria for membership must include:
- Fall between the Ages of 16-25 years old.
- From a migrant, refugee, or asylum seeker background and residing in Tasmania.
- Ability to work well within a team.
- Willing to commits to the values and guiding principles of MYT.
- Willingness to undergo leadership and advocacy training.
- Willingness to engage with MYT and stakeholders of youth sector in Tasmania.
- Willingness to travel up to twice year intra-state for meetings.
MYT Youth Advisory Group participants will:
- Act as a reference point for MYT on youth issues
- Assist in facilitating state-wide youth consultations.
- Facilitate state-wide advocacy activities.
- Contribute to MYT communication on a state level and MYAN communication on a national level (E-news updates).
- Undertake training and development activities that enhance the work of MYT and MYAN Australia
- Youth Advisory Group membership duration is 2 years with a review after 12 months.
- The Youth Advisory Group will meet monthly, it is mandatory to be present at all meetings.
- If unable to attend it is expected, you inform us at least a day before the scheduled meeting.
- Membership will be reviewed if meeting requirements are not met.
- Members are encouraged to participate in MYT activities plus additional activities (e.g., stakeholder meetings, youth forums, guest speaker opportunities).
- Adhere to Migrant Resource Centre Southern Tas policy and guidelines.