MY Learn to Drive
Are you from a migrant or refugee background with no access to a car or a volunteer to help you practice driving?
Come and have a chat with us to explore your options. We will explain how the MRC Tas Learn to Drive program works.
Our program is designed to make sure that you, the volunteer and everyone else on the road is safe.
If you are a young person or a parent/guardian and would like more information about MY Learn to Drive, please contact our youth team or come along to MY Drop-in.
- Find a Driving Instructor and have 10 professional lessons. Make sure the Driving Instructor records your progress in your logbook.
- Ask your Driving Instructor to complete a progress checklist at lesson number 10
- Bring your visa, L1 licence, logbook and checklist to MRC Tas
- Work with MRC Tas to recruit a volunteer who will take you for driving lessons in the MRC Tas car
- Keep practising English at Car Cafe
- Bring your visa, L2 licence, and logbook to MRC Tas
- Keep practising English – your volunteer will speak English
- Work with MRC Tas to recruit a volunteer to take you driving
Are you interested in becoming a Learner Driver Mentor? Do you have 2 hours a week to help our learners get their drivers licence? MRC Tas has 2 dual controlled cars, fully insured and we provide petrol too! Learner Driver Mentors provide on-road driving sessions to learner drivers eligible for the L1 or L2 program. Learner Driver Mentors work as a team directed by program coordinator, in collaboration with driving instructor, and driving assessors. To become a Driver Mentor you must:
- Hold a current full Australian car licence (either auto or manual)
- Be at least 25 years of age and 2 years on full licence (for insurance purposes)
- Obtain a National Police Check (we can help you with this)
- Obtain a Working with Vulnerable People Check (we can help you to register)
To enquire about volunteering with the MRC Tas Learn to Drive program, please email email@example.com
Thank you to the funders that support the MRC Tas Learn to Drive Program:
- The MRC Tas Driving Program Coordination – Tasmanian Government
- The Glenorchy Learner Driver Mentor Program vehicle – Tasmanian Community Fund
- MRC Tas Settlement Services – Department of Social Services